Re: RI: gdk_screen_get_resolution()

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 16:33 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I don't think there are any great options. You could:
>
> 1) return -1 if there are different per-monitor resolutions

This could break applications that are requesting this data?

> 2) return the resolution of the primary (thats an xrandr 1.3 concept)
> monitor of the screen

> 3) deprecate gdk_screen_get_resolution and fix all callers

I guess this depends on how we expect the configuration to look. Do we
expect a single DPI/zoom slider? Or one per monitor? Or a global slider
and then per-monitor sliders?

I did a quick test of per-monitor varying DPI:
http://people.collabora.co.uk/~davyd/images/gtk-resolution-independence.jpg

(NB. the dialog boxes aren't quite the same size, because the height of
the slider is hard set in pixels).

As you can see, in general it looks ok, except that the font hinting
apparently looks naff at 125dpi (I haven't looked at this yet).

In my case, I'd leave both screens at 96dpi, everything is crisp and
readable to me and the DPI difference is not so huge that it's weird.
People with those insanely high resolution displays however may want to
set different DPIs for their monitors so that they can read the text on
their laptop display without squinting.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA