GTK+ 2.17.0 released
- From: Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com>
- To: gnome-announce-list gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org, gtk-app-devel-list gnome org, gtk-list gnome org
- Subject: GTK+ 2.17.0 released
- Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:29:27 -0400
GTK+ 2.17.0 is now available for download at:
This is a development release leading up to GTK+ 2.18.
* This is the first development release in the 2.17 cycle.
It has had only little testing and there are unfinished
features and plenty of bugs in this release. It should
definitively not be used in production.
* Installing this version will overwrite your existing
copy of GTK+ 2.16. If you have problems, you'll need
to reinstall GTK+ 2.16.
* GTK+ 2.18 will be source and binary compatible with
the GTK+ 2.16 series; however, the new API additions
are not yet finalized, so there may be incompatibilities
between this release and the final 2.18 release.
* Bugs should be reported to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
What is GTK+
GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user
interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable for
projects ranging from small one-off tools to complete application
GTK+ has been designed from the ground up to support a range of
languages, not only C/C++. Using GTK+ from languages such as Perl and
Python (especially in combination with the Glade GUI builder) provides
an effective method of rapid application development.
GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. However, the
licensing terms for GTK+, the GNU LGPL, allow it to be used by all
developers, including those developing proprietary software, without
any license fees or royalties.
Where to get more information about GTK+
Information about GTK+ including links to documentation can be
An installation guide for GTK+ 2.x is found at:
GTK+ is a large project and relies on voluntary contributions.
We are actively searching for new contributors in various areas
and invite everyone to help project development.
If you are willing to participate, please subscribe to the project
mailing lists to offer your help and read over our list of vacant
Overview of Changes from GTK+ 2.16.x to 2.17.0
- Scale marks can now be specified in builder markup
- GtkAssistant action widgets can be added in builder markup
* Changes that are relevant for theme authors
- GtkEntry now has a ::invisible-char style property that allows
themes to set the preferred invisible character
- GTK+ supports authentication of users against CUPS servers now.
* Bugs fixed:
578634 gtkdial example fails to compile
580678 Minor improvement to GTK+ mediaLib code
580511 gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display translates GDK_NONE...
581110 Handlebox widget uses static variables, crashes in multi...
553385 gtk-builder-convert creates untranslated combobox models
580814 GtkTextLayout incorrectly assumes pango iterates in logi...
579366 gtkbuilderparser leaks RequiresInfo objects
579741 gailcombox should emit property-changed:accessible-name...
574386 Remove deprecated call to gtk_status_icon_set_tooltip...
384940 handle rejecting jobs and authentication meaningfully
* Updated translations
Thanks to the contributors:
May 4, 2009
] [Thread Prev