Re: GVariant for prez!

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 13:35 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 1:02 PM, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:
> >  o It seems like you (or Simon or both) expect GVariant to be the only
> >   container type in town for C bindings for D-Bus (as per the D-Bus
> >   library bug report). E.g. you expect the C programmers to deal with
> >   a{ss} as a GVariant instead of the more natural type GHashTable.
>
> One thing to consider is whether we can separate the basic building
> block pieces from the object system mapping and get the basic building
> block stuff (main loop integration, name watching, etc.) into glib on
> an earlier schedule... then give plenty of time to bake and iterate
> dconf, gvariant, gdbus object mapping.

I think that's feasible and sensible - this part is practically baked in
the gdbus branch of glib on git.gnome.org - specifically we are talking
about the GDBusConnection, GBusNameOwner, GBusNameWatcher classes and
the g_bus_[own|unown|watch|unwatch]_name() APIs.

So, basically, someone just needs to sit down and review this part of
the code and then, assuming it gets past review, we can merge it to
master after fixing things up. Then we can continue working on the C
type and object mapping in the gdbus branch.

     David