Re: Gtk+ 3.0 Theming API Hackfest Minutes

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:09 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> Alberto Ruiz wrote:
>> >
>> > Well, you can always get the native device of the surface. This works
>> > for Windows and Mac native drawing APIs. You can then create an OpenGL
>> > context out that (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).
>> >
>> > A bit tricky, we might add facilities for that, but most engines are
>> > going to use cairo anyway.
>>
>> It's just about whether the API is extensible or hardcodes cairo.
>
> Hardcode cairo!

Also the engine interface is considered "private" API. Gtk+ 2.10 looks
for engines in a different place than prior versions.

We should be able to cross the "extensible API" bridge when we get to
it, without breaking gtk's public API/ABI. Unless people want to
freeze engine API in gtk3, that is.

- Rob