Re: Gtk+ 3.0 Theming API Hackfest Minutes

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:44 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:09 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, you can always get the native device of the surface. This works
> > > for Windows and Mac native drawing APIs. You can then create an OpenGL
> > > context out that (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).
> > >
> > > A bit tricky, we might add facilities for that, but most engines are
> > > going to use cairo anyway.
> >
> > It's just about whether the API is extensible or hardcodes cairo.
>
> Hardcode cairo!

Have to say, I absolutely agree here. Cairo is already fairly abstract
in terms of implementation (it has backends...). What's the advantage of
adding yet another layer of abstraction? Do we really gain anything from
it? I think it's more than likely we will end up with a single cairo
back end anyway, in which case it will be a lot of work for no gain.

Regards,

Thomas