Re: client side windows - request for testing and reviewing

2009/6/17 Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>:
> The client side window branch is now feature complete on X11, and
> includes API to do offscreen window embedding (with patches for
> clutter-gtk availible to test this). Today I merged the latest master
> into the branch to make it easy for people to test it (its got the new
> so version).
>
> I fixed the last known (to me) bug yesterday (an obscure WM interaction
> issue on loading the saved session), and am running this as my default
> Gtk+ without issues.
>
> The win32 branch is getting some work done by Cody Russell, and the
> Quartz backend used to work fine but requires some minor API change
> updates (hopefully Richard can do this soon, CC:ed).
>
> It would be very nice if we could merge this soon. However, to do that
> we need more testing and people to look at the code. As things stand
> right now I've gotten essentially zero feedback. I don't know of anyone
> except the two backend porters who have built or looked at the code
> really.
>
> So, please, please, please, test this code. We need people who run
> "uncommon" apps to test it, and we need people to run it on apps they
> know really well so we can find minor changes in behaviour.
>
> Also, anyone who knows gdk or have an interest in this, please take a
> look at the code and give feedback.

I think I need some pointers to give some constructive feedback on
this. I've now compiled the client-side-windows branch, but I am
unsure where to start looking and what to try out.

I looked about the wiki page[1], but didn't find any hints. I found
some undocumented signals on GdkWindow in the gtk-doc html that I
couldn't figure out what was for; "get-parent",
"get-off-screen-parent" et. al.

And also - is there an easy way to run my existing apps on top of the
new libs I've installed in /opt? Like some LD_LIBRARY*-magic...

--
Cheers,
Mikkel

[1]: http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/ClientSideWindows