Adding Extension Points to GIO

Is there any documentation (other than reading and guessing at code) on
the proper way to add an extension point to GIO so it might eventually
be considered for upstream inclusion? I know this is kind of a vague
question, but it would be beneficial to my work to be able to modify how
GAppInfo's are launched on a system.

If there is any documentation or a well commented source file to read
over (the extension in GDesktopAppInfo is currently a bit daunting to
someone not familiar with the innards of glib) please let me know.

Jason Smith