Re: Gtk+ Font Dialog improvements

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Henrique Carvalho Alves wrote:

> There was discussion on this some time ago, and the discussion
> got lost. I'm trying to raise interest on this issue again.
>
> I did a mockup for a new gtk+ font chooser, as I find the
> current one lacking from usability aspects, and wanted to gather
> some feedback. If there's any interest, please read the
> rationale at my blog:
>
> http://hcalves.tumblr.com/post/144502395/one-thing-i-dislike-on-gtk-its-the-current-font

I agree this is a substantial improvement on the standard dialog.

I have one additional beef with the existing selector, admittedly
more of a app-developer thing than a UI matter: the lack of any
means of asking for a subset of fonts to be displayed, e.g.
monospaced, or Roman text.

Allin Cottrell

There could be an option to call the dialog passing what filter to use by default. There's already some filters (common fonts, fixed-width, variable-width), if we can gather more data from Pango to categorize fonts, more can be added.

But then, I don't have this argument passing on the mockup, it's likely a Gtk+ implementation detail.