Re: the 2.18 endgame

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Matthias
Clasen<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about GTK+-related events at
> Guadec yet, so my proposal may not quite be in line with what was
> discussed there. Please let me know if thats the case...

I will be getting back about the GTK+-related events on the mailing
list soonish.

> GTK+ 2.90:
>  - Outstanding GSEAL issues have not been resolved. bratsche spent
> some time on it,  but gave up for lack of feedback

As was already mentioned in this thread, GIMP almost compiles under
GSEAL.  Mitch claims GIMP uses a lot of GTK+ API and thus is a pretty
good test case.  From this I think we can deduce that the work is
close to being done.  There are some API issues left to figure out
such as the get-by-ref and get-by-value as Cody mentioned, class
private data (there is a patch for this already) and widget flags (for
which Mitch seems to have a patch already).  Part of the "getting
back" I mentioned above will be evaluating exactly what is still left
to be done according to the original plans.

> Here is my proposal:
> - Consider the current GLib api final (modulo minor tweaks)
> - Push gdbus, gvariant, extended geometry management to the next cycle
> - Focus on fixing CSW regressions and making CSW work on win32, doing
> weekly releases from now on. Alex will be on vacation for a while,
> unfortunately.
> - If client-side decorations are ready in the next week or two, we may
> merge that
> - Do weekly devel snapshots from now on, to track CSW regression fixes
> - Do the final 2.18 release when CSW regressions are under control,
> but no later than Gnome 2.28, obviously (which gives us a hard
> deadline of September 21)

If I am allowed to comment on this, this seems very reasonable to me.

regards,

-kris.