Re: g_malloc overhead

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:43:57 +0100
Martín Vales <martin opengeomap org> wrote:

> Other overhead i see is the open dir/file funtions, where in windows we
> need do the utf8 to utf16 everytime in windows. If JAVA,.NET and Qt use
> utf16 by default why in gnome world we use utf8 by default?.

Probably one of the biggest reasons, is that UTF-8 does not use \0
octets, whereas UTF-16 does. This means that UTF-8 data can transparently
pass through all of the usual str*() functions in C, such as strlen(),
strcpy(), etc...

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd leonerd org uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/