Re: gtk+ documentation wikified

hi,

Maciej Piechotka schrieb:
> Eugene Gorodinsky <e gorodinsky gmail com> writes:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Since you guys are discussing the redesign of the gtk+ website, I'd
>> like to propose an idea that I have. I've seen quite a lot of comments
>> saying gtk+ documentation isn't as good as qt's. What do you think of
>> having a wiki that documents all of gtk+ api?
>
> I'm not sure but I guess that it would be possible to integrate it
> somehow with SVN(or, even better, git/bzr/...). The wiki syntax could be
> translated into gtkdoc.
>
> With svn: The developer/maintainer of wiki could download wiki syntax as
> a patch, apply it and commit.
>
> With git/bzr/...: It would function more as a separate branch which
> could be merged - along with the edit history.
>
> Problems: Probably it can have problems with manual merging of docs.

Imho the actual problem is to locate where to apply the changes. If you want to
improve the docs of _foo(), you need to gtk-doc comment blob for it, show that
to the users and let him edit it. Then make a patch and submit or apply.

If someone would want to help me to do if for gtk-doc that would rock. Basically
we need a new output mode, where one specifies the link to the cgi. All the
extracted docbook would get some annotation for the location of the original
gtk-doc comment. The xslt would produce edit links for each blob. Klicking that
link takes you to a form where you can edit the gtk-doc comment.

Open Questions:
* should it include all the original comments as hidden fileds (gets big) or can
the server side script grab the lines from the sources, if vcs-tag, source file
and line start/end is given?
* need to try the annotation to embed the location into docbook
* how to submit the change:
  * patch to bugzilla (does anyone know of about how to do that automatically)
  * commit to a specific branch which maintainer regalarily merge

Would thank be enough for a GSoC project? I would mentor it, but I would rather
juck hack with someone diretly on it? Who joins?

Stefan