Re: GLib plans for the next cycle

Am Mittwoch, den 11.02.2009, 11:31 +0000 schrieb Alberto Ruiz:
> 2009/2/11 Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:
> > With 2.20 winding down, I think now would be a good time to talk about
> > what should happen in Glib 2.22.
> >
> > One thing that has been tossed around for a long time is that it would
> > be really good to have DBus support on the Glib level.
>
> Would this support be optional? I'm concerned about making GLib
> dependant on a dbus development environment on Windows as DBus has no
> regular windows builds whatsoever (AFAIK).
>
> > This would allow us to move forward with several things in GTK+ that
> > will work much better if they can use DBus:
> > - session support
> > - unique application support
>
> Would DBus be swappable here for something else on non freedesktop
> environments? (Windows, Mac)

Well, probably we should first answer the questions if Windows and OSX
provide APIs which could serve as drop-in replacement for DBus. No idea
what's available on OSX. For Windows I wonder if it's really possible to
seamlessly emulate DBus via COM. DBus is quite dynamic, maybe the
IDispatch interface[1] comes close?

Otherwise, if those platforms don't have a proper drop-in replacement it
probably would be more reasonable to really use DBus even on those
platforms.

Ciao,
Mathias

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms221608.aspx
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Personal Blog: http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/