Re: Gtk3 and theming - a proposal (with code)

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:

[...]

> Sure, gotcha, we have taken that scenarios into account already,
> however, this is getting a bit off topic since what we were supposed
> to discuss here was CSS. I just wanted to raise the point that the
> theming API is not that versatil, and abusing it doesn't really mean
> it's flexible.

Let me know when/where I can read up on your proposal.

> Back to the topic of CSS as replacement of GtkRC files.
>
> I'm quite interested in knowing what's the plan reagarding style
> properties names. At the moment, xthickness/ythickness is used for
> different things depending on the widget. I'd love to see a plan on
> using the appropiate CSS semantics for each use case. Do you have any
> plans to write down the matches for each use to be replaced for more
> CSS familiar names such as padding/border/margin?

As hinted at [1] a mapping of somewhat-but-not-quite matching
properties to their CSS counterparts is not part of the immediate
plans.

Actually, many in the theming community are hoping for a more
CSS-alike paddding/margin model in gtk3. Or maybe app developers
should just start using HippoCanvas, but I digress.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2008-October/msg00076.html

- Rob