Re: Windows dev-* environment

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Vlad Grecescu wrote:

> I think most of the people that use Gtk+ on Windows also use
> autoconf/automake (think Inkscape, Geany, Pidgin). Unfortunately
> they also use parralel Makefiles for win32.. having the
> opportunity to compile unmodified (vanilla) Gtk+ software in
> msys/mingw seems like a good idea to me.

Yes, it's a nice idea, but it requires that all build-related
files be generalized beyond the usual assumptions that are valid
for *nix platforms to encompass the full weirdness and oddity of
MS Windows (R).  This is a heavy burden on app developers.

In my experience, it's much easier (if, in the end, less
satisfactory) to leave the auto* files with their *nix assumptions
and write a separate makefile for Windows.

Allin Cottrell