exporting _gtk_selection_request for selection manager use

I'm working on a secure selection manager based on glipper. What it
needs to be able to do is intervene and make a security determination
when a paste is requested. 'glipper' currently monitors clipboard
ownership changes at which time is gets the clipboard contents. I've
modified glipper to become the selection owner after it get the
clipboard contents and connected a 'selection-request-event' handler
to process pastes. I'd like to make the security decision and then
either send a selection notify with GDK_NONE or use the default
behavior of _gtk_selection_request but this function isn't exported,
could it be?