Re: setting up a gtk dev environment

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 20:27 +0100, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Patrick Hallinan
> <patrick j hallinan gmail com> wrote:

> >> "no dice" doesn't really add up to a bug report on jhbuild. hundreds,
> >> perhaps thousands, of people use that as a way to build and maintain the
> >> GTK stack from svn. what was your problem with it?
> >>

> > I guess you are saying that I should be using jhbuild to get a gtk+
> > build environment?
> >
> > I'm using the subversion trunk for jhbuild which I didn't assume was
> > stable.  I get the output below when I try "jhbuild bootstrap"
> >
> > Making all in libguile
> > make[2]: Entering directory
> > `/home/patrick/repo/gnome2/guile-1.8.3/libguile'
> > make  all-am
> > make[3]: Entering directory
> > `/home/patrick/repo/gnome2/guile-1.8.3/libguile'
> > if [ "no" = "yes" ]; then \
> >                gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I.. -c -o c-tokenize.o
> > c-tokenize.c; \
> >        else \
> >                gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -I..    -g -O2 -Wall
> > -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -c -o c-tokenize.o c-tokenize.c; \
> >        fi
> > cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> > <stdout>:1536: error: 'input' defined but not used
> > make[3]: *** [c-tokenize.o] Error 1
>
> That's actually a warning, and because of the -Werror flag, it is
> treated as an error.

I saw that but I don't like compiling code with header files missing.
It causes the compiler to assume things that are not link-time or
run-time checked.

> I do not know why Werror would be enabled. If you cannot find the reason,
> then when the compilation fails and you get the jhbuild options as to
> what to do,
> pick Option 4 which gives you a shell. Enter the guile directory and
> fix up what you can.

I didn't really want to get involved in working on jhbuild if I didn't
have to but if that's what everyone is using then I will.  Is this the
preferred way to get a development setup for gtk+?  Are there other good
options?

> If you check at the JhAutobuild website, you can see recent jhbuild
> sessions from people
> that opted in to have the information made available online. From what
> I see, there are no
> failed builds due to guile (guile is not compiled).
>
> So, one thing you can do is try jhbuild again and enable to send the
> logs to JhAutobuild,
> http://live.gnome.org/JhAutobuild

I will look at that.  Thanks!

Pat.