Re: gtk+ and randr

Adam Jackson <ajax nwnk net> writes:

> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 12:12 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 11:12 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > > I hacked up a proof-of-concept addition to the protocol along these
> > > lines:
> > >
> > > http://people.freedesktop.org/~ajax/patches/randrproto-1.3.patch
> > >
> > > I'm not completely happy with it, but it's at least a starting point.
> > > What API _do_ you want?
> > >
> > > (GetScreenResources is clearly an example of generalizing from too few
> > > examples.  Let this be a lesson to you.
> >
> > Looks pretty good to me. It'll get us (almost) all the information we
> > want. The one thing that GTK+ exposes, which is missing is per-monitor
> > dpi, but we'll survive without it...
>
> After a hallway conversation with Matthias I want to amend this proposal
> slightly.

If EDID information can not be had without blinking, then flicker free
boot and login is incompatible with multi-screen support that keys off
EDID support. Which of these features should not be implemented, in
your opinion?

If EDID information *can* be had without blinking, then
GetScreenResources is fine as is, and the randr and the drivers just
need to be fixed along the lines Dave suggested.

> Feedback definitely sought here.  And I'd send this on to the qt list
> too, if I had any idea what it was called...

There are qt-interest, and kde-devel.