Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

Am Donnerstag, den 17.07.2008, 06:59 -0500 schrieb Travis Watkins:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com> wrote:
> The problem is this "code cleanup release" breaks everyone's
> applications for no reason.

This is wrong for 2 reasons:

1. It does only breaks apps that don't compile with disable-deprecated
or enable-broken; that's far from "everyone's"

2. There are reasons, they have been mentioned quite a few times (code
cleanup, more possibilities for refactoring, etc.)

> No one has shown a case where the current
> situation makes a fix impossible and no one has proven any interesting
> new features (other than whole new widgets, which we can do now) can
> be added to 'gtk+ 3.0' without breaking API/ABI. We're going to get
> terrible backlash from a 3.0 that has zero new features and I suspect
> any of the promised shiny bits will end up having to wait until 4.0
> anyway.

Wring, just read Kris' email, he's mentioning very concrete development
ideas that are not possible without breaking the current API, but that
would be possible if we had properly sealed from the beginning.

> In the end all we get is the ability to drop some old widgets no one
> spends time on anyway.

Isn't that a good thing, too? Dropping unmaintained stuff so others
won't use it and might be disappointed because of the bad state of it?

Regards,
  Sven