Re: What does your personal GTK+ development system consist of?

On 24/02/2008, Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl> wrote:
> This is not the appropriate list for this kind of questions, in the
>  future, please use gtk-app-devel-list or gtk-list at gnome.org.
>
>  El dom, 24-02-2008 a las 14:12 -0800, Wade Renzi escribió:
>

>  > I ask because I recently screwed up my Ubuntu installation after
>  > installing GLib, Pango, ATK and GTK+ from source, and would like to be
>  > able to hack on the GTK+ widgets without breaking everything.
>

> Use jhbuild and install everything in a different location, like with
>  --prefix=/opt/gnome.
>
>  Instructions are here:
>
>  http://live.gnome.org/Jhbuild
>  http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/jhbuild

Personally I would not recommend jhbuild. I've used it a good handful
times always without success.

I find it a lot easier to simply install stuff with --prefix=/opt and
then run all the configure scripts with
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/lib/pkgconfig. Requires that a bit of work, but
less than struggling with jhbuild issues.

Cheers,
Mikkel