Re: Translucent Scrollbars

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 18:53 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2008/8/19 Christian Dywan <christian imendio com>:
> >
> Before even starting to think of all the layout-related technical
> details, one should stop to think if one really wants interesting
> content to be underneath mouse-usable scrollbars (ie. unreachable) and
> why...

You want it for small screens. That's yet another 20 or more pixels that
you don't waste.

For example Maemo has ultra thick scrollbars for people who use their
full of mayonaise hanging greasy fingers, while eating French Fries in a
good Belgian Frituur, instead of the Apple-ish stylish stylus.

Some even use ketchup! Or even cheese??!! Strange Canadians and UK
people.

I do it all the times (tapping with my dirty greasy fingers). My devices
look horrible and dirty. Indeed. And I plan to continue doing it too.
(for hygienic reasons, I often clean my device, of course).

I can't hold both food AND stylus pens in my hands. I could try tapping
my Nokia devices's touchscreens with a fries ... though (hmm, that's a
good idea).

But that's why the scrollbar is thick, and as a result my working area
feels smaller.

And why a translucent scrollbar would be useful.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be