Re: gtk.HTML class nonexistent [was: Re: [pygtk] Computing optimum size of gtkhtml2.View]

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 19:20 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
>> qt4 has support for "Rich Text" - simple things like "< b >hello< /b >" can be
>> detected and displayed, and the size of the box is "enforced" as a minimum width
>> and height onto the application.
>>
>> it's _essential_ that GTK have similar such functionality.  implementing these
>> features "outside" of the core gtk widget set - using pygtk2 alone - registers
>> on the "awkward to literally impossible" scale.
>
> What's wrong with using gtk.Label("<b>hello</b>", use_markup=True) ?

 haven't got a clue - inexperience led me to believe that didn't exist? :)
 will let you know tomorrow - thanks for pointing it out.  i've got a long way
 in a short period of time, but will quite literally be covering
absolutely every
 single feature of python-gtk2 (and python-qt4) so was bound to miss
 something, somewhere.

 if it works, it means that one of the big show-stoppers on
pyjamas-desktop-gtk2 is gone.

  i still have quite a list of other things - the functionality of
gtkhtml3's "object_requested" is _perfect_ for what i need for
"HTMLPanel()" (see http://code.google.com/p/pyjamas or google webkit
they're both the same except one is a python-to-javascript compiler,
the other is a java-to-javascript).

 an HTMLPanel() you can insert Widgets into the HTML.  gtkhtml3
provides exactly this functionality, passing you the classid in when
you catch the signal.

 ... except... python-gtkhtml3 doesn't exist: i hear that gtkhtml2 and
gtkhtml3 are being dropped in favour of webkit.  so, i have to find
out if webkit supports that type of functionality.

 l.