Re: GLib String support

Hi...

I included the ASCII only version to remove the overhead when dealing with lowercasing, uppercasing, decimal or hexadecimal digits and things like that from applications that really don't need to bring the complexity of Unicode to them. As an example GTK signal strings could only use the ASCII only string functions.

About g_loc..., I completely agree that before using strings in other code pages they should be, first, converted to UTF-8. (g_loc_... dismissed.)
Following this g_loc.. approach: what about before converting between UTF-8/16/32 use specific functions to validate each encoding forms, removing the need to check for invalid code points/surrogate in each of the conversion functions.

Best regards...