Re: Undo framework

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:41:19PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 16:21 -0300, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure we should talk about a 'document' there, there are many
> > operations outside of documents which are undoable.
> >
> yes, we are not talking only about document, and yes, I think it should
> be in Glib, except for the widgets that might be needed.

Agreed.

> As for transation-based framework, I'm not sure exactly what Jody is
> thinking about, but to me, if I understood it correctly, it makes a lot
> of sense to be able to group performed actions into a set that can be
> undone/redone and even repeated. That would, probably, fit the GIMP's
> needs, as stated by Sven, to have nested undo groups. Each group would
> be a transaction, that can be redone/undone/repeated as a single entity.

The 'transaction' refered to a mechanism for persisting the details
of each operation to a file.
    1) The options could be re-played in the case of failure.
    2) The data would provide useful hooks for auditing and
       validation.

It seems useful for anything that operates on persistent data, be it
a document, or control-center settings.