Re: gtk+/glib versions for GNOME 2.20

Le lundi 28 mai 2007, à 19:05 +0200, Murray Cumming a écrit :
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 16:12 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Since the release dates for GTK+ 2.12 and glib 2.14 are now post-GUADEC
> > and it's probably not a good idea to put pressure on the GTK+ team, I
> > believe it's better to stay with GTK+ 2.10/glib 2.12 for GNOME 2.20.
> > 
> > If there's no objection, the release team will announce this in a few
> > days.
> If this happens, I hope that GTK+ will not then be frozen before GNOME
> 2.21/2.22 development has really started, or else the new GTK+ API will
> be frozen before it is tested. Synchronization with the GNOME release
> schedule would be best.

Well, I obviously can't speak about GTK+ plans. But here's what I
believe is the current status:

 + GNOME: if GTK+ 2.12 is not out before the end of July, then it's not
   reasonable to depend on it for GNOME 2.20. While the goal of the
   GTK+ team seems compatible, there's currently no hard guarantee that
   GTK+ 2.12 will be released as planned.

 + GTK+: GTK+ 2.12 is already late, and waiting for the next GNOME
   unstable development cycle might not be reasonable either. Waiting
   for GNOME 2.21 means delaying 2.12 for at least 3 months.

Like everybody, I can't wait to use GTK+ 2.12 in GNOME. I'd even be
okay to push for this happening soon, and I'd be ready to annoy GTK+
developers to get the new GTK+ out in time :-) But I don't want the
first 2.12 releases to be buggy because they were rushed.

I'd love to hear what's the best option for GTK+.


Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]