Re: glib memory allocation problems

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

And this is perfectly possible if program is using the pthread API,
while using glib for hash tables, etc.

if you use the pthread API without calling g_thread_init(), you're getting
yourself into trouble. don't do that, glib can't possibly work correctly
in threaded scenarios without its threading system being initialized.

I know that.  Now.

What I was suggesting is that glib should try to warn the user in such
a case.

Possibly only if G_SLICE=debug-blocks is set or whatever.  It doesn't
seem all that difficult: when accessing thread specific data, compare
with the last thread id.

it *is* that difficult. there are a lot of things that will break if
you expect glib to be thread safe without initializing threading.
if you can come up with a patch that catches all cases (uses of mutexes,
conditions, private data, thread methods, ...) without impacting
(slowing down) the common uses, please file it in our bugzilla.

Miklos

---
ciaoTJ