Re: ideas on improving the performance of gtk_tree_view

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 17:35 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> El vie, 23-03-2007 a las 23:19 +0100, Michael Natterer escribió:
> [...]
> > What GTK+ needs here is a *sheet* widget, something that is optimized
> > for organizing two-dimensional data in an efficient way. Hacking up
> > GtkTreeView for insane use cases does no good whatsoever.
>
> Yes, we definitely need a sheet widget.  I don't know why people don't
> just write one, or revive the old one.  Maybe they are scared that it
> doesn't do enough for a spreadsheet --- but people are not building
> spreadsheets; they just want to display simple tabular data.

Such widget was written a while ago by Lorenzo Gil Sánchez
(Gazpacho's author):
http://www.sicem.biz/personal/lgs/projects/gtkgrid/view_project

But the discussion take here when it was proposed, wasn't very
stimulating so far:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2004-April/msg00137.html

--
Germán Poó Caamaño