Re: ideas on improving the performance of gtk_tree_view

2007/3/23, Kristian Rietveld <kris gtk org>:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 08:18:14PM +0200, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com> wrote:
> > 2007/3/22, Yevgen Muntyan <muntyan tamu edu>:
> > >
> > > IIRC reusing single cell renderer in multiple columns was declared
> > > broken and unsupported (because it was broken). Is this correct?

Yes, a single cell renderer is not supposed to be used in multiple
columns.  Of couse you might get lucky and it works more or less.

> > Maybe there are specific cell renderers that are broken?
>
> As I understood it, it is "broken" if you do not set the same set of
> attributes on each column. Try mapping text and font weight on one
> column, and just text on another column and see what happens ;-)

That's one really good example of how things will break.  And you also
already provided a way to work around it :)  For the record I am not
planning on fixing any new bugs which show up because of using a single cell
renderer in multiple columns.  Maybe we should guard for reusing a cell
renderer multiple times in a later version of GTK+.

And at minimum update the docs ASAP to note this. The paragraph I
pasted had me at least thinking it doesn't matter at all where the
renderer is used...

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi