Re: openPrinting + the dialog...

Matthias Clasen wrote:

What future versions of the printing dialog ? We have one now, and I don't see
hordes of volunteers who are eager to rewrite it...

Well, I was not proposing to rewrite the current one again.

I was also not proposing to write yet-another-printing-dialog,
that is part of the has-not-seen-innovation-since-1995 class
of printer dialogs as seen on any platform, except the mac.

That would be incredibly boring, and I would not volunteer to
be interaction architect on that project.

I am asking you to help the openPrinting project to reach the
following situation:

In a couple of years a 500.000 people company or organisation
is contemplating to move all their desktop systems to linux.
The question comes up: so does printing work, sort-of?
The answer: well, both technically and in user experience
linux is the most advanced platform on the market.

The current situation is a deal-breaker, ask any printer company.

It also does not need to be finished next month. It is gonna
take a year or more to roll this out. I just want to get started
with one or two of you to work on discussing how to realise our
innovative UI, the GNOME way. So that by the end of this year we
can have UI specifications ready for gtk.

I am counting on you guys,

    --ps

        principal user interaction architect
        man + machine interface works