Automake requirements for gtk+, glib

I was trying to build gtk+ and glib from the trunk subversion sources, but autogen.sh complains about wanting version 1.7.x of automake. I now have automake v1.9.6
 installed, so the default script was actually requiring me to use a much older version. Should it really depend on the older version ?

I just changed my local autogen.sh to require 1.9.x instead of 1.7.x, and the build seems to be working fine now (it's still compiling; I'm building on a slow laptop). Should a patch updating this be added to subversion ?

Regards,

Geoff