Re: The new tooltips API in 5 minutes [Was: Re: Whats coming in GTK+ 2.12, continued]

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 11:25 +0200, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Damon Chaplin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 13:59 +0200, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> >
> >>  2. When you need a tooltip with a little more fancy contents, like
> >>     adding an image, or you want the tooltip to have different contents
> >>     per GtkTreeView row or cell, you will have to do a little more work:
> >>
> >>       - Set the has-tooltip property on GtkWidget to TRUE, this will
> >> 	make GTK+ monitor the widget for motion and related events
> >> 	which are needed to determine when and where to show a tooltip.
> >
> > I still think this is unnecessary and clutters the API - it can be
> > determined automatically from the other settings. Can't we get rid of
> > it?
>
> please read Kris' description again.
> if you set ::tooltip-markup, ::has-tooltip is set automatically, and
> you don't need to worry about it. this is *not* the case if you connect to
> ::query-tooltip and possibly return TRUE. there is no way for gtk to tell
> this kind of setup and querying every widget would be excessively
> expensive, so we need the user to set ::has-tooltip here.

We discussed it before. I said that query-tooltip should really only be
emitted just before a tooltip is shown, and you agreed. If that is done
the efficiency problem disappears, doesn't it?

Is "has-tooltip" needed for anything besides the efficiency issue? (e.g.
a11y or something?)

Damon