Re: GtkBuilder Public API - Last call

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 11:55 -0300, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 11:49 -0400, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> >
> >> Anyway, my point here is not wrt code that exists already in Gtk+,
> >> I am of the opinion that GContainer iface is "missing", and that
> >> objects in general use other objects in general, and in that process
> >> of ownership, packing properties are an essential thing.
> >
> > Yes, generic support for packing properties will be needed for any
> > future GtkCanvas widget as well (for packing items inside each other).
>
> Not really, GtkCanvas can just define it's own custom tags where it controls
> the relation between the canvas and its items.
>
> What Tristan wants is a way to override and introspect these properties.

True, but given that argument you could also say the same for GObject
properties, GObject could just as well define a custom parser for
the "property" attribute. But - if GObjects handled properties
in their own custom parser and a derived object wanted to execute
custom code for a given property at load/"build" time - overriding
the custom_start/end and code sharing with a parent object is next to
impossible.

Anyway, I think the important part is to recognize that we can easily
add a child_set_property() vfunc to the buildable, deliver packing
properties in convenient GValues to container objects and all that
in the near future without api breakage.

its alot more scary to think that GtkBuilder will be pushed back
another release cycle just for its few imperfections.

Cheers,
                 -Tristan