Re: [Usability] "Correct" Windows, KDE button order?

[Crossposting to just the lists, hopefully that will be enough]

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:30:58 -0500
> From: Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste kde org>
> To: kde-usability kde org
> Cc: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>,
>      gtk-devel-list <gtk-devel-list gnome org>, Sven Neumann <sven gimp org>,
>      usability <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] "Correct" Windows,
>      KDE button order? (was: Re: alternative button order: Why don't we
>     auto-guess the alternative order by default if appropriate?)
>

> I'm missing part of the conversation, but is this  Portland Project
> discussion?

It seems like a Gtk/Qt discussion, with a little bit of checking first on
what exactly we have all inherited from Windows and Apple and making sure
that is what we really want and asking the GTK developers really nicely.

see the section on Desktop Integration (includes button order)
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/qt4-2-intro.html#desktop-integration
which no doubt will have a significant impact on KDE

The approach of GTK requiring developers to specify an alternative button
order does look saft and technically correct but highly optimistic since
it pushes the work out of the toolkit to many individual developers.
Automating the whole problem like QT does seems like the best answer for
the most possible people, and provides valuable consistency and far
simpler implementation and maintaince.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/