Re: GIO API review

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 21:22 +0200, Vincent Geddes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 17:48 +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:
> > Also, subclasses should probably append their name, not prepend it:
> >
> > GFilterOutputStream -> GIOOutputStreamFilter
> > GUnixOutputStream   -> GIOOutputStreamUnix
> >
> > This makes the file and inheritence structure much clearer and would
> > be consistent with stuff we already have (e.g. GtkTreeModelFilter,
> > GtkTreeModelSort).
>
> Looking over the GTK+ classes, it seems like the TreeView classes are
> the odd ones out. Most classes seem to follow the naming pattern in gio,
> examples being GtkToggleButton, GtkCheckMenuItem, GtkAccelLabel,
> GtkAboutDialog, etc.

true. :-)

> Besides, the proposed naming in the review does go against the naming
> convention set by Smalltalk, Java, C#, et al; and if implemented will
> probably confuse users coming to GTK+ from those worlds.

even though I usually favour internal consistency against the "proof by
other language" when writing an API for my projects, in this case I
completely agree: C++, Java, C# and other languages that have I/O stream
classes went down the same naming policy with Type(Input|Output)Stream.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,