Re: is glib too bloated?

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 14:01 -0500, Brandon Casey wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 11:46 -0500, Brandon Casey wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> What do we do?
> > [snip]
> >
> > We wait until someone has an actual need for such a change, or an actual
> > problem.
>
> Uh, I don't get it. Do you imply the problem and need I described are
> not actual?

honestly, I still don't quite understand the problem you have, as you've
been pretty vague about what problems you encountered in porting GLib on
a 'non-linux' platform.

dependencies? yes, they are an issue, but unfortunately stuff that is
considered "core features" of GLib requires them. GLib maintainers have
been very wary about adding dependencies, so you cannot accuse them to
be "dependencies happy".

if you want to target a specific system you can remove stuff from GLib
yourself, by adding switches to configure.in; for instance, you can
remove most of the main loop, gmarkup and gkeyfile without really
creating much of an hassle; obviously, the resulting library would be
completely useless on most of the platforms following the GMAE stack, so
I don't think a patch introducing those switches would be applied
upstream.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--