Re: GtkCanvas requirements?

Hello!,

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 17:11 +0200, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > There is something which bothers me though. Support for some units,
> > points for example, would require floating points measures. And I
> > suspect we don't want to do layout in floating point (instability
> > issues). Mozilla converts css units in twips (an arbitrary integer
> > unit, 1/20 of a point). That's a way to go about it I guess, though it
> > requires conversions it in the canvas items. Better ideas?
>
> This is a very important aspect, right. Especially with the upcoming
> *resolution independence* in MacOS X, people will start requesting this
> feature in GTK+ as well. So we should really add resolution independence
> to the feature list. This would at least satisfy the request for
> increasing widget spacing if the resolution increases (so we can have
> something like "1mm" between widgets).

Sadly, I see a some problems here:

1) We don't control the hardware our software is running on.
2) Broken X servers reporting bad dpi values, relying just on
modern/non-broken servers doesn't look very attractive either...
3) I bet there's still lots of people with 800x600 (or worse) screens

Regards,
   Carlos