Re: GtkCanvas requirements?

Hi Havoc!,

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 10:13 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> In HippoCanvas we took this to the extreme of not including gdk.h or
> gtk.h in the canvas core. I happen to really like this approach, but
> in
> general I tend to like to keep code almost annoyingly
> layered/orthogonal, just a personal taste kind of thing that can
> create
> extra work.
>
> Then as you mention there's an item that can contain GtkWidget and a
> GtkWidget that can contain an item.
>
> It definitely has the downside that you'd have to replicate large parts
> of what's in gdk and gtk already. On the upside, if you're writing a new
> "widget core," apps could avoid the old one entirely someday. It's a
> "GTK 3.0 in parallel and interoperable with 2.x" sort of thing. Probably
> at least a little bit insane.

What are we missing in the current core? What benefits would bring a new
one? would it be worth in the long term the pain of duplicating code
paths? AFAIK, we're missing advanced layout properties like
height-for-width, width-for-height and such, maybe they would be done
differently if it all were done from scratch, but it seems doable for
2.x.

Regards,
   Carlos