Re: --gtk-debug=updates not working ?

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 22:07 -0500, Sean wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> With gtk2-2.10.4-4 here on an FC6 system I can't figure out
> how to turn on redraw debugging from the command line.
> gdk_window_set_debug_updates(1) works but that requires
> recompiling apps, is this a known issue or am i just doing
> something stupid?

I usually use GTK_DEBUG=updates ./app to have it certainly work, without
fear of GOption, popt or something else eating the args before reaching
gtk_init in the library - some non-gnome apps are broken like that.

Note that you need a full debug build of gtk+ for this, built with
--enable-debug=yes.
Typically distribution packages have them built with
--enable-debug=minimal to have g_return_if_fail and other minimal things
work, but not extra debug code that introduce a considerable instruction
increase for debugging the library itself purposes.

It seems gdk_window_set_debug_updates works without full debug, but the
GTK_DEBUG env var content and --gtk-debug argument isn't parsed if it
isn't a full debug build. I believe it would be nice if that's done in
any case, to have debug facilities work that aren't left out when
G_ENABLE_DEBUG isn't defined.

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp