Re: Tooltips progress

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

Last week I've been working on the tooltips implementation, using the
callback-based approach/interface discussed earlier on this mailing list.
The basics are working already including keyboard support and custom
windows.  Before I can finalize a patch for reviewal, I have some comments
and questions.

In a follow up to his original mail, Tim is talking about adding the
following function:

 gdk_display_force_query_display (GdkDisplay *);

I am not sure if this really belongs in GdkDisplay.  Currently I have a:

 gtk_widget_force_query_tooltip (GtkWidget *widget);

which works just fine for forcably updating a tooltip, in both keyboard
and mouse mode.  I guess most people will usually know which widget's
tooltip to update.  Opinions?

yes, in most cases the widget will be known, but not in all.
the trivial example is changing per-display settings like
::display-tooltips = off or the timeout.
also, since we support nesting/overlaying of widgets.
even the display might not be clear, which is why i actually proposed:

void gtk_display_force_tooltip_query (GdkDisplay*); /* display may be NULL */
/* because of nesting/overlapping tooltips, widget is not always known
 * http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-April/msg00030.html
 */

but you have a point here, since in most cases the widget will indeed
be known, it'll be most convenient to also provide:
void
gtk_widget_force_query_tooltip (GtkWidget *widget)
{
  gtk_display_force_tooltip_query (gtk_widget_get_display (widget));
}

Currently, we are using the following query-tooltips signal:

 gboolean (*query_tooltip)     (GtkWidget           *widget,
                                gint                 x,
                                gint                 y,
                                GtkTooltip          *tooltip);

But if a user sets a custom using gtk_widget_set_custom_window(), we don't
have to pass a GtkTooltip around.  So currently I just set the tooltip
field to NULL, so the user knows he has to use his own custom tooltip
window (and we assume he has a reference to that).

my original proposal
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-April/msg00010.html
included:
  GtkWindow*      gtk_widget_get_tooltip_window   (GtkWidget      *widget);
so the user doesn't need to duplicate tracking of this window.

 Is this okay or do
we want to change this?  We could also move the _set_custom_window()
functions into GtkTooltip for example.

no, i intentionally didn't put it there. the reasoning for this was:
- the setter should go along with a getter
- the user should get at the custom window but *not* the tooltips window
  used by gtk. the latter is violated with a getter on GtkTooltip.

Implementing GtkTreeView tooltips in your application is now pretty easy,
just set up a query_tooltip callback and call gtk_tree_view_get_path_at_pos()
with the coordinates which are provided to you (but if x == -1, the keyboard
mode is enabled and then you should really call gtk_tree_view_get_cursor()).

using x==-1&&y==-1 for keyboard mode was a bit of an aftermath patchup to
my original proposal.

Matthias Clasen now pointed out:
Using x == -1 to indicate a keyboard-triggered tooltip looks a bit
odd to me; how about adding a boolean parameter for this ?

and i thnk he is right. another indication that we'd not want (-1,-1) is that
you already talk about querying the cursor yourself. so it's probably better
to adapt the signal to:
  gboolean      (*query_tooltip)        (GtkWidget      *widget,
                                         gint            x,
                                         gint            y,
                                         gboolean        keyboard_tip,
                                         GtkTooltip     *tooltip);
and preserve the x,y position.

Would this be sufficient, or do we want to add some special API for supporting
tooltips in the tree view, like having GtkTreeView implement the query
tooltip callback and have tooltip-markup properties on cell renderers.
Personally I think implementing the query-tooltip yourself is easy enough
for people to do and also really flexible, so there's no need for more API.

i'd say let's first nail the basic tooltip API. GtkWidget already comes with
a default handler. we can still add treeview convenience API later on if that
is required. (and for that, i think it'd be easiest to forward the query_tooltip()
signal to signals on the columns and cell renderers).

Since we re-query for a tooltip on mouse motion, I was wondering what we
should do in keyboard mode if a key is pressed in, for example, GtkTreeView.
A key press there might change the cursor and we might want to update the
tooltip contents.  Do we want stock GTK+ to take care of this, or should the
user do this himself?  (For example by calling gtk_widget_force_tooltip_query
from the GtkTreeSelection::changed callback).

i think i'd handle key press events like mouse motion and scroll events, i.e.
re-query. that eases things on the user side and is consistent with movement.
(the basic idea behind my proposal was that gtk+ takes care of the required
granularity whenever possible, so gtk_display_force_tooltip_query() needs to
allmost never be used).

thanks,

-kris.

---