Re: gtkglarea in core gtk+

On Thu, 2006-17-08 at 18:24 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:

> GTK doesn't depend on glitz.  It does depend on Cairo, which may be
> linked to glitz, but never creates a glitz surface.  If you build
> cairo without glitz, GTK will build and run identically.
>
> So a discussion of an OpenGL widget would need to address adding the
> OpenGL dependency.
>
> James.

I'm all for raising the bar and getting more distros to have OpenGL libs
(mesa) installed per default, so long as it doesn't inconvenience our
current user base.

And there's the rub.

Is the benefit of having a base 3d drawing infrastructure in place worth
adding a dependency on "just one more" library?  I know such things can
be very political, and I realize that gtk+ is intended to be light(er)
weight; perhaps even spartan and utilitarian.  I also realize that
OpenGL could be seen as a library which promotes building software that
wouldn't run on commodity hardware.

However, all other modern GUI toolkits seem to have an analogue, and
these widgets seem to be bundled with the core.

I'll be happy with whatever the consensus decides, of course.  Static
linking or distributing libGL.so with applications has been done for
years, and it will continue to work relatively well.  I'm merely looking
to reduce the friction required to develop and distribute gtk+
applications with flashy 3d visual bits.  I strongly believe that such
features have a way of increasing the user base, especially in youth,
where (IMHO) it's most important.

Cheers,

C.J.

P.S.

It looks like the ubuntu packages of gtk+ and its deps currently consume
roughly 75M

$ du -h /var/cache/apt/archives/libgl1-mesa_6.4.1-0ubuntu8_i386.deb
164K

$ du -h /var/cache/apt/archives/libgtk2.0-0_2.8.20-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
2.0M

$ for i in `apt-cache show libgtk2.0-0 | grep Depends | head -1 | awk
-F: '{print $2}' | perl -e 'my $line = <STDIN>; my @pkgs = split(/,/,
$line); foreach my $pkg (@pkgs){ $pkg =~ s/\s+(\S+).*/$1/; }
print(join("\n", @pkgs), "\n")'` ; do du
-k /var/cache/apt/archives/${i}_*.deb ; done | awk '{print $1}' | perl
-pe 'my $sum; while(my $size = <STDIN>){ $sum += $size } print $sum'
75244