Re: Inplace Tips for GtkTreeView (#346992)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:29:04AM -0500, Michael Urman wrote:

 * From the user perspective, it catches us up to Windows usability
in TreeViews.

Last time I used Windows it didn't put some popup window over the tree
view row.

stock windows XP has actually quite a lot of dialogs where only partial
cell contents are visible, and on occasions you're even unable to resize
the windows/trees up to a dimension where the full text would be visible.
so there it's quite essential to have this feature, and given the right
set of dialogs (user/service administration) you get to use it quite
often too.

and yes, i think gtk+ should have this to catch up with windows in
terms of ellipsized column usability.

the popups shouldn't be implemented by the tooltip mechanism though,
they may look similar, but behaviour wise and implementation wise,
they are completely different beasts.

Also, I feel that different applications
need a different solution for this problem.  Personally, I think that
"inplace hints" is too specific to put in GtkTreeView.

i'm pretty sure that this is a genuine tree view feature in windows,
and if we have it at all in gtk, it's probably best implemented by stock
tree view widgets as well.

It's been two weeks without any hints to how I can help you (Kris, or
anyone else) decide. Please give me some indication as to what the
path is for ths sort of patch. I don't want it to disappear because I
give up without feedback. I don't mind either a yes or no answer, but
the silence saps my will to work with GTK+ development.

so while my above email should count as a "yes" vote, you'll actually have
to get Kris convinced to help you get this in, because there's probably no
one else currently who could do the required mentoring for you ;)

---
ciaoTJ