Re: Implementation of new EWMH spec

Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> writes:

> Spreading the "is_composited/composited_changed" API among GdkScreen and
> GtkWidget means that people will just ignore the latter's signals, since
> they won't ever see them.

I don't think so; they are much more likely to ignore the signal on
GdkScreen and only deal with the one on GtkWidget - which is exactly
what I intend with the API.

I didn't initially add the widget API, but it turned out to be quite
painful to even add the support to the testgtk alpha widget without
it. I also know that this widget API is very convenient for things
like notification bubbles. Basically everytime people are going to do
anything with RGBA, they will have to reimplement all the stuff that
the widget API provides.

> Right now people have to do a *lot* of stuff to write a proper widget:
> handle changes in the screen, icon theme, style, compositing manager,
> text direction, ::show_help (which nobody handles), ::grab_broken_event
> (which is too new, so nobody handles it either)...  I'd rather reduce
> the number of things that people have to keep in mind :)

But the amount of stuff is pretty limited if you are just inheriting
from GtkWindow, and you are completely free to ignore the composited
signals and API if it isn't relevant for your widget.

Soren