Re: Implementation of new EWMH spec

"Matthias Clasen" <matthias clasen gmail com> writes:

> Comments on the patch:
> - The registration for the signal does not match the signature in the
> class struct
>   (misses the boolean parameter).

Yeah, a last minute change. I want to remove the boolean parameter
since the information can be found through gdk_screen_is_composited().
That way people can't forget the boolean parameter when they connect
to the signal.

> - Why are you precaching _NET_WM_CM_Sn atoms for 16 screens ? That seems
>   excessive. If at all, I'd only precache _NET_WM_CM_S0

I don't care much. Caching for 16 screens seems mostly harmless to me,
but I'll change it.

> - I wonder if it is necessary to propagate the signal throughout the
> widget hierarchy.
>   Isn't it enough to have the signal on GdkScreen ?

It is quite painful to keep track of whether a screen is
composited since you have to also keep track of when the screen
changes. Having the signal on the widget means not only that this
becomes much easier, but also that gtk+ can guarantee that a widget is
invalidated when the composited-status changes. That way, a simple
widget can just check gdk_screen_is_composited() in the expose
handler.

Soren