Re: canvas notes [zoom dependent container]

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 20:49 +0200, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> On 9/8/05, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> > The way I see it, you would always have only one item, which just
> > happens to draw more stuff if zoom level allows it.  Or you could have a
> > single item but with items inside, as sub-items, that are made visible
> > at some point.  But in the latter case all items are grouped together
> > and only a single "group item" is exposed to the parent layout
> > container.
> >
> >   In both cases, the effective size of an item could change a bit
> > depending on zoom level.  If these size changes cause layout instability
> > or not, I don't know.  Depends on the layout algorithm, I suppose.
>
> In my mind, the size of the "swappable" container, that has multiple
> sets of children should be constant.
> http://pippin.gimp.org/zpim/draft.png  is one simple kind of zoomable
> interface that could be realized that would benefit from such
> "rendering termination".

Yes. This is what i mean by allowing different rendering depending on
the zoom level, but not allowing "geometry changes".

> I don't think font hinting should be allowed to force relayouts nor
> rehyphenation either.

I agree, and there are several ways to handle this. See
http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/grid-fitting/ for examples.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish drug-addicted rock star on his last day in the job. She's a
disco-crazy impetuous vampire from Mars. They fight crime!