Re: canvas notes [zoom dependent container]

On 9/8/05, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> The way I see it, you would always have only one item, which just
> happens to draw more stuff if zoom level allows it.  Or you could have a
> single item but with items inside, as sub-items, that are made visible
> at some point.  But in the latter case all items are grouped together
> and only a single "group item" is exposed to the parent layout
> container.
>
>   In both cases, the effective size of an item could change a bit
> depending on zoom level.  If these size changes cause layout instability
> or not, I don't know.  Depends on the layout algorithm, I suppose.

In my mind, the size of the "swappable" container, that has multiple
sets of children should be constant.
http://pippin.gimp.org/zpim/draft.png  is one simple kind of zoomable
interface that could be realized that would benefit from such
"rendering termination".

I don't think font hinting should be allowed to force relayouts nor
rehyphenation either.

/pippin

                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/