Re: Success! Got gtk2 + xorg-modular built in SYSROOT-environment

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
* Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu> schrieb:

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what a SYSROOT environment is.

It's a kind of jail, but for the toolchain instead of a running system: evrything's taken from within the sysroot,
instead of the running system.

Probably the cleanest way of building for an foreign system, not just for real crosscompiling.

Sounds like installing an OS into a subdirectory, tweaking various
config files, device files, mountpoints, etc. within that subdir's
OS installation, and then chrooting into that dir to build.

Is that how sysroot works?  If it is similar that, autotools
works fine in such environments (as did Imake).

The Red Hat buildsystem (beehive) as well as other buildsystems
such as mock, mach, etc. use an approach similar to this.

I'm not too sure how this relates to X.Org architecture though.