Re: annoying glib licencing stuff

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 15:13 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
> > hi,
> >
> > I received a patch from a user of the gobject documentation I wrote a
> > while so I spent a while integrating his typo fixes in the glib cvs HEAD
> > repository.
> >
> > The attached patch (typos.patch) which I have not yet committed contains
> > his fixes and a few other typo fixes I had lying around. Am I allowed,
> > to check in myself without prior approval patches which touch only the
> > docs/reference/gobject/tut_*.xml files ?
> >
> I guess the typo.patch needs no discussion and should be commited right away.

Agreed.

> > I must say that I am a bit annoyed by two things about the current state
> > of cvs HEAD:
> >
> >   - the list of contributors has disappeared from the documentation.
> > While I don't mind moving it to some place less visible than it was
> > before, I would like to keep it in the xml.
> >
> >   - my copyright as well as my name have disappeared from the source xml
> > and are not visible anywhere in the source tree despite what the license
> > it was released under requires (see docs/reference/COPYING).
>  >
> Good point! IMHO all gtk-docs should have an appendix with sections such as
> licence, contributors, etc.
> >
> > I would be happy if someone could approve the other patch attached
> > (license.patch):
> >   - re-add the list of contributors in a separate chapter at the end of
> > the gobject-doc.sgml file.
> >   - add a copyright statement at the top of gobject-doc.sgml including
> > me and the other major contributors. I have no idea who the "other major
> > contributors" are for the parts of the document I did not write and the
> > parts which are automatically extracted from the source code so I did
> > put only my name there. (adding more is a matter of adding a <copyright>
> > tag with its <year> and <holder> tags)

The problem with making the license for the gtk and glib api docs more
explicit is that we currently don't have a list of contributors. Someone
will have to sit down with cvs annotate and produce such a list, before
we can contact all contributors to ask for their agreement on whatever
license we want to put in the docs.

Matthias