Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

Hey,
	This thread has just petered out, but Alex still needs an answer.

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 14:59 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 15:53 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 13:50 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> >
> > >   - The benefit of being able to use all the other new APIs in GTK+
> > >     2.8 for GNOME 2.12
> >
> > This was the reason i brought up this with jamesh, leading to the change
> > of the jhbuild modules.
> >
> > In particular, I'd like to use the new g_utf8_collate_key_for_filename()
> > function from glib in nautilus. Technically I guess we could make a copy
> > of this function in nautilus for now, but it would be nice to be able to
> > use the glib code, and to have the same sort in the file selector.
>
> Is it ok if nautilus depends on glib 2.8 for this? This doesn't mean we
> have to use gtk+ 2.8, gtk+ 2.6 works fine with glib 2.8.
>
> Its a bit strange as glib and gtk+ have historically released very much
> in lockstep. However, nothing says this is needed.
>
> Opinions?

	Personally, I don't see why not. I mean the GTK+/glib maintainers have
a schedule that suits GNOME 2.8 fine ... it seems like we're only
holding back from depending on GTK+ 2.8 because of stability worries.
Those worries don't apply to glib ...

Cheers,
Mark.