Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

On 6/3/05, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 03:46 +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:
>
> > > A menu would never give enough informations on the recently used
> > > items: apart from an icon associated to the mime type, we won't know
> > > their location, or when they were accessed; so, given that we should
> > > provide a tooltip for each item (with an API for adding custom text,
> > > maybe), a menu could be also implemented.
> > >

> > Emmanuele, really the best way to provide access to recent items in
> > application is menu.
>
> Even if I could agree, I'm still skeptical about this.  A menu is what
> it is used on some platforms, but I don't know if it's indeed the best
> way to provide all the data we need to know about a recently used
> resource.

You're thinking this way, I'd suggest, because your use cases are
overly complicated. Consider this ridiculously common use case:

* I want to open a file that I know I saved in the recent past.

That's it. Very simple, very common. Currently, I can open one menu
(Places->Recent Documents) and 'solve' that user problem.

Covering that use case is the whole point of every recent file menu on
every OS. People don't care what month it was opened, or what day it
was opened, they just know that they opened it in the recent past, and
they want to open it again without digging into crappy FS heirarchies.
Covering the more complex user problems is nice, but if you make it
too hard to solve this very basic need, you've defeated the point for
most users.

Luis