Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

On 6/2/05, Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> writes:
>
> > On the UI side, we should have a GtkRecentChooserDialog and a
> > GtkRecentChooserWidget, for which I have prepared a mockup at the GUADEC
> > Hackfest; you might see it here:
> >
> > http://www.emmanuelebassi.net/images/shots/recent-items-viewer.png
>
> IMO this dialog is overloaded. There shouldn't be more than three
> lines of text displayed with each item. I also miss previews in your
> proposal. The GtkRecentChooser API should allow applications to
> provide a preview. That's exspecially important for images.

The mockup is a testbed: the MIME type line is redundant, and would be
removed; also, the "not available" emblem (coupled with a "is not
local" emblem) should be enough.

Also, a tooltip could be useful - but we would need the treeview tooltips.

I also agree on your point on the preview.

> > I've considered the option of making a menu, but I decided that we
> > should avoid it for latency reasons; applications might just have a
> > "Open recently used..." item which launches the dialog (many
> > applications already use a submenu, there's no difference for the user's
> > point of view), or we could add the ability to show recently used
> > resources into the GtkFileChooser, near where we put the bookmarks.
>
> Sorry, but what are the latency reasons involved here?

Parsing could be an issue on older machines - even if XML parsing has
become way more efficient.  What I was referring to was the check on
non-local items: this is currently what takes most of the time when
instance.  We should keep this issue in mind: some of the files might
reside on non-local volumes.

> IMO providing a
> menu is vital for this proposal to be accepted. Users like the
> recently-used menu very much and I don't think we should take it away
> and replace it with an inconvenient popup dialog.

A menu would never give enough informations on the recently used
items: apart from an icon associated to the mime type, we won't know
their location, or when they were accessed; so, given that we should
provide a tooltip for each item (with an API for adding custom text,
maybe), a menu could be also implemented.

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to program.
What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing