Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

Hi,

Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> writes:

> On the UI side, we should have a GtkRecentChooserDialog and a
> GtkRecentChooserWidget, for which I have prepared a mockup at the GUADEC
> Hackfest; you might see it here:
>
> http://www.emmanuelebassi.net/images/shots/recent-items-viewer.png

IMO this dialog is overloaded. There shouldn't be more than three
lines of text displayed with each item. I also miss previews in your
proposal. The GtkRecentChooser API should allow applications to
provide a preview. That's exspecially important for images.

> I've considered the option of making a menu, but I decided that we
> should avoid it for latency reasons; applications might just have a
> "Open recently used..." item which launches the dialog (many
> applications already use a submenu, there's no difference for the user's
> point of view), or we could add the ability to show recently used
> resources into the GtkFileChooser, near where we put the bookmarks.

Sorry, but what are the latency reasons involved here? IMO providing a
menu is vital for this proposal to be accepted. Users like the
recently-used menu very much and I don't think we should take it away
and replace it with an inconvenient popup dialog.

Sven